Coming from Canon to EM-5.

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Coming from Canon to EM-5.
In reply to ThomCull, Feb 22, 2013

ThomCull wrote:

Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

What would you recommend for a lightweight kit in that focal range? I'm impressed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 right off the bat, I can see it staying on the camera 85% of the time. I'm really on the fence regarding the 12-50, it seems ideal but the aperture really makes me think twice.

The 12-50mm is probably the most interesting kit lens out there. The Panasonic 14-45mm seems to be the gold standard of kit lenses, so it's worth a look, too.

The 20mm is a nice little lens. You might want to take a look at the Panasonic 25mm, too. There have been endless debates here comparing both lenses, so I won't get into it. I have a 20mm and it always delivers.

The Oly 40-150mm is cheap and is surprisingly good for the price and would be a good match for the 12-50mm. It was selling for $99 recently!

The Oly 14-150mm would be good for a single lens solution. I have a Panasonic 14-140mm, which is great when I can't (or don't want to) carry a bunch of primes. That and the 20mm would be a good start.

There's also the Panasonic 100-300mm, which obviously will give you some dramatic reach with good image quality at a reasonable price.

I bet this didn't help too much.
 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow