Is the Sony RX1 worth £2,600 ?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
BigIggy
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Sony RX1 worth £2,600 ?
In reply to harold1968, Feb 22, 2013

Of course not. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't own one.  I had one in hand for the weekend.  If ever a camera proved the adage that the "best camera is the one you have with you" the RX1 is that proof.  Easy to carry, a thrill to manipulate and fun to create with.  The LCD was easier to navigate than the EVF.  Thought I'd need one as I was alternating with an SLR in fast paced environment but the small size of the EVF negated the benefit of switching viewfinders between cameras.  The irony of this gem is that you finally have a device available to capture decisive moments but is fatally flawed by an auto and manual focus system not robust enough to fulfill the remarkable machine's promise.  I'd say that with a quicker focus, the RX1 would be worth every penny. The question is not whether you can afford the camera but whether you can you afford to wait for the upgrade.

For less $$ you can add a better performing lens to your kit, a new body, an entire studio lighting system.  But you can't hang them demurely from your neck, aim without looking, press a nearly silent shutter, and grab slices of life in progress unawares.

Of course not.

BigIggy's gear list:BigIggy's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow