Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dbbarron
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
HDD upgrade path for 2008 unibody Macbook
Feb 22, 2013

I have a 2008 aluminum unibody macbook (5,1) with its original 160gb drive which is now full.

The machine also has 5Gb of ram.

I am looking to upgrade it to get a few more years out of it.  I use it for a secondary field computer - Some Aperture work, some GoPro video import and minor editing, etc.  I have two performance problems - (1) no more drive space; and (2) trouble with certain video work; the CPU and display can not keep up.  Otherwise, it is a good performing machine.

I see two paths (in both I will upgrade to 8Gb Ram).

First replace the HDD with a Hitachi 1Gb 7200 RPM drive.

Second, same as 1, but also replace the optical drive with a small (60 ro 120gb) SSD for the OS and Apps while using the new 1Tb HDD for data.  This will add almost $200 to the upgrade given need for the SSD and adapters, etc.

Here is the question  - given the age of the machine, and uses, will the SSD option make a meaningful difference?  My goal is to get another 2 years out of the machine.  It seems like other than free space, I am CPU/GPU limited and no drive options will improve that.

db

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow