Sell my SEL24f18Z for a SAL 1680Z - am I mad?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Re: Sell my SEL24f18Z for a SAL 1680Z - am I mad?
In reply to Chewbokeh, Feb 21, 2013

I don't think there is a correct answer. I have them both. The 24mm  is a nice lens of known quality but for taking JPG's OOC of children and other general topics it makes sense to me trade for the 16-80mm.  As long as the light is good, you gain flexibility and fast autofocus.  You loose low light (get a strobe if that is a problem) and possibly some artsy-fartsy narrow depth of field stuff.

Out of a hundred random subjects under mostly good lighting conditions, I would go with the 16-80mm 75% of the time.  You won't see the difference unless you are specifically looking for wide open bokeh.

The NEX system is weak in mid-range zooms right now but they should be announcing a new one in a few months. Their might me a native 16-80mm with stabilization and faster auto focus, which would be the best solution.  It will cost more than $999 though.

D Williams's gear list:D Williams's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow