revisiting old E-3 images with LR4: WOW! (share your experience please)

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Blake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493
Like?
E3 from 2011, before and after
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Feb 21, 2013

Roel,

I have to agree that the new software is making life a lot easier in the PP area.

I have the latest version of Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 however my workflow is quite different from yours.

I still use Olympus Viewer 2 for my basic raw conversion. As good as Adobe Camera Raw 7.3 is (It is the same in Photoshop and Lightroom, just the controls are laid out a little differently), I find it still leaves a lot of the fine detail behind in the raw conversion.

Once the Olympus .orf is converted to a 16bit tiff I open the tiff up ACR and that’s where the magic of the new version kicks in.

I now set contrast and sharpness at -1 in Viewer, process the tiff in ACR mostly for shadow and highlight corrections, and then finish off in Photoshop.

The files are now so clean I no longer use noise reduction.

The sample included was shot at ISO 640 in deep shade with direct sun filtering through the trees right behind the subject. Snow makes it even more challenging. This is the type of shot I find myself revisiting with the new tools.

The first shot took me a couple of hours playing with layers and masks and I never could get it the way I liked and just gave up.

With the new highlight and shadow recovery in ACR it took about 15 minutes to do the second version, no noise reduction used, looks very clean even at 100%. It would be even cleaner in the background with selective sharpening applied only to the owl, which is what I would do for a print.

Really good news for the older files where DR and noise were more of an issue.

Also makes working on the files from the newer sensors dead easy.

1st version:

Latest version:

Gary

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JuhaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow