X-Pro 1 negative demo experience

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,760Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Pro 1 negative demo experience
In reply to jimkahnw, Feb 21, 2013

jimkahnw wrote:

I got to handle the X-Pro 1 camera at B&H the other day. A huge disappointment! Maybe the demo lacked the firmware update that's supposed to fix the focus problem, but I found the beast impossible to focus. In the dim light of the show room, the camera would hunt for focus and by the time it locked the moment had passed. There wasn't an intuitive way to zone focus, as there was no focus scale on the lens and the salesman did not help me find the menu setting for manual focus. Great picture quality doesn't matter if you can't get it sharp.

Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

JimK

Not really, but it is important with CDAF to watch for high contrast vertical lines and try to focus on those.  If you focus on a shadowed areas you will have trouble.

Depending on which lens you were using it might not focus that fast either.  I find the 35mm f/1.4 lens fairly slow focusing for example, it is find in decent light, but in low light it just doesn't work well.  I still need to grab the latest firmware, but wanted to do a comparison test so want to find the limits on the old firmware first.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow