Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Have Olympus E-PM1, Considering Sony NEX-C3
Feb 21, 2013

I am a "hobbyist" shooter. I have the Nikon D5100 d-SLR and 2 lenses for it  (18-105 VR and 50mm). I also have an Olympus E-PM1 kit, other than having a cheap adapter to let me use an old manual-focus Nikon on it (not the same one the D5100 uses, it has a recent AF version), the kit lens is it--although I have considered the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for portraits or, if I really wanted to spend, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. I do landscapes with it a lot, portraits of kids sometimes as well. I also have a 3" Hoodman Loupe.

My tax refund is coming soon & I was figuring on updating to the E-PM2 when the funds arrived, so as to get the new OM-D/E-M5 derived sensor technology. I like Olympus' JPEG treatment among other things and figured getting the new sensor, what with its better dynamic range and high ISO performance, to be a natural progression, especially for my landscapes. However, I'm pondering these points:

• I've spotted a mint-condition Sony NEX-C3 with 18-55mm for only $330, an Olympus E-PM2 kit will run me $500 most likely
  • I have Lightroom 3.5 and am a big-time cheapskate with software, the Sony RAW files will probably work fine with LR 3.5 whereas the new E-PM2 probably won't and I'd have to buy LR4, adding more to the cost comparison
  • The 3" LCD on the recent Olympus PENs doesn't fill-up with the image due to image aspect ratio mismatches, whereas the Sony fills it full
  • Given that the Sony NEX-C3 apparently uses the same 16mp sensor as my Nikon D5100 d-SLR, perhaps there'd be less variability with how the images looked whereas they look very different on the Olympus (in JPEG especially)
  • If there exists a cheap adapter for mounting my manual-focus Nikon 50mm 1.8, manual focusing would presumably be better, what with the better LCD & focus peaking feature

Basically, what I think it boils down to is that the Sony gives me a cheaper sensor-upgrade path, since the kit is cheaper than even an E-PM2 kit and I also (presumably) wouldn't have to upgrade the LR 3.5 software for RAW files. The better LCD appeals to me as well.

On the other hand, I really like how Olympus processes its JPEGs, especially for landscapes (it's not usual for me to regard the out-of-camera JPEGs as perfect and to just use them), & it offers more lenses, although again I would be apt to only get a prime like the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for it anyway, due to manual-focusing sometimes being tiresome. I know Sony offers a 50mm 1.8 OSS.

Thoughts?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-C3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow