D800 is within factory standard! Needs +20 to stop it front focusing.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
Re: Individual LC and Default not linked
In reply to primeshooter, Feb 21, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

digital ed wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

PatFahey wrote:

It's interesting to read this. My 800E, focused perfectly out of the box -- no left AF problem at all. I felt very lucky because it was an early one. But I do have the "it auto-focuses at different distances in different light" issue.

But there's good news (at least in my case). I've found that the focus is consistent in consistent light. If I fine tune AF in tungsten and then shoot in tungsten, it's right on. If I fine tune in daylight and shoot in daylight, it's also right on. But if I fine tune AF in tungsten and shoot in daylight, it's way off.

It's never been to big a deal for me because I rarely use AF, but I can see how it could drive someone that relies on it nuts.

Primeshooter: are you fine tuning and testing/shooting in similar light?

-Pat

Hi Pat. Tuning in the same light I am shooting in yeah. I am just hacked off that I am at the end of the scale - yes I can leave it at +20 but why should it be like this, seriously?

Seriously, if the camera did not have AF Fine Tune and the factory had to set the camera to an effective +20 you would never know it. You would go on taking pictures getting good results. Practically, what difference does it make if the pictures are in focus?

Well, if you read the manual you will see that setting high values of tuning can affect infinity focus. Also, being at the end of the range, I cannot see if a little more adjustment in the same direction would give sharper results.

Can you not go to live view to indicate this?

This is an expensive camera...it might have a great sensor but if it cannot focus reliably like the last generation, it's not worth much. This is why it's so important to me. I may try using the default setting, which if there is no specific lens setting, apparently works much more. Ie if a lens needs +20, on the default scale it would need about +8 only, then I could tune further if you get what I mean.

I believe you are not understanding that the two are not linked. Default does not add more leeway. They are separate applications not effecting each other. One or the other. There have been many discussions of this if you care to search.

Your situation of being at the end of the scale would trouble me as well. One poster suggested if it is in optimal focus at +20 you could get on with it but what might that say if another newly acquired lens require more? I would then want a greater threshold for adjustments. If it were me having those results with my own testing capabilities I'd keep at them and send in more samples with a lens or two. With them having a lens you could have them present to you their samples of what they consider sharp and at what lens correction setting.

Good luck, sorry you have to have this complication.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow