Has the X Trans sensor just been outflanked?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fabio Amodeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the X Trans sensor just been outflanked?
In reply to mjl699, Feb 21, 2013

I think the new offering by Nikon is quite interesting, mostly because it offers the chance to print native A2 at 240 ppi with the quality expected by the lack of filter. My X-Pro1 experience has taught me that sensors without filter need very little sharpening, which is a great bonus as it preserves subtle hues and passages of tones. I see the new Nikon as a very nice complement to any X-Trans camera, to be used when focussing speed is important. I may be influenced in my opinion by the fact that all the lenses I use with the X-Pro1 from 50mm up are adapted Nikkors, so the adoption of the 7100 would not change my habits. But I would not dream to start travelling again with a DSLR: on a journey nothing can beat Fujis and its primes.

After all, it's not that different from the situation when I started photography: Leica M was the standard camera, with 21-50mm lenses, but everybody bought a SLR for tele work, 85-300+ (the 90mm window of the M4 was hardly usable). Bodies used to cost less, but at $1000 something the 7100 is not too taxing. And, being a RAW user, I think X-Trans is not a problem anymore after the introduction of Capture One 7.02.

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow