Why Fuji camera hardware so expensive??

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Questions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,778Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Fuji camera hardware so expensive??
In reply to nawknai, Feb 21, 2013

nawknai wrote:

jcharding wrote:

They are not expensive. I'd love to have a Nikon 200-400VR, but I don't have $6700. A Nikon 14mm/2.4 will run you $1700. Etc....

Quality costs money. New systems and technology cost money.

I've never understood the entire idea of criticizing the price of a product. If it is too expensive, don't buy it. We don't have an inalienable right to own these things, and if something costs too much I simply don't buy it.

Agree with everything you said.

And the Fuji 35 mm f/1.4 performs incredibly well for its price. I'm not rich, but I don't mind paying for something that performs better than its mid-level price would indicate.

Compare this lens to another 35 mm f/1.4 lens. The Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 may be the best of the bunch at the moment, and it costs more than the Fuji. Sure, the Sigma was designed for full frame, so the price may be warranted, but that would actually give it an advantage on an APS-C camera since it's only using the centre of the lens, which is the sharpest part of the lens. The Fuji is a sharp lens despite its images requiring the use of the entire lens cross-section.

I am not criticizing this brand's price, i am just basing my point of view on my current nikon lenses that i have, which are really great by the way, some of the ones i have might be more plasticky but the glass is sure really good for less than $200 dollars.

Please understand that the way i am looking at things are based on what "I" currently have and i just could not afford to keep all my nikon gear and then on top of that having to buy a brand new system with new lenses, i could not afford to do such investment. I sold my D7000 and bought the Fuji S5, which i am really really happy with, SPECIALLY because i have been fortunate to be able to use all my nikon lenses on it.

I COMPLETELY agree with you that the price is not too expensive, but that would be "IF" i didn't have any nikon lenses whatsoever and i was starting fresh, then a new Fuji camera with lenses would make sense. I CAN sell my nikon lenses and go fuji but it just doesn't make any sense and i am just NOT going to do that because the lenses i have are just too great, specially my Rokinon 85mm 1.4 that i really love. Plus to spend $1400 on a Fuji camera that has a VERY slow AF just doesn't make too much sense to me, but like i said, i have done more stupid things in the past

The bottom line and good news is that i have a S5 PRO which this is a keeper for life, and i am fortunate and it is a privilige to own a fuji camera.

Thanks.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow