Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
petersolymosi
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: I really like....
In reply to tedolf, Feb 21, 2013

tedolf wrote:

B&W treatment for portraits.

You did a nice job on the composition/cropping and timing too.

What camera did you previously own and what is your photographic background?

TEdolph

Thanks for the kind words. I have always been interested in photography. My first camera was a Chinon CE-3 with which I wasted numerous rolls of film. Trying to learn photography on your own as a teenager with a fully manual camera was not an easy task. Then I progressed to a Nikon F80 which had much better results. Then on to a Nikon digital D-70 which I had for about 6 years. That camera helped me learn a lot about taking good photos.

About 2 years ago I realized the camera ended up staying at home more than it did coming with us so I decided to sell it and my lenses. I downsized to a waterproof point and shoot so I could take photos of the kids during the summer (splashing around in our local lakes). The problem is that I couldn't take the photos I wanted to with the point and shoot.

So I did my research for about a year before deciding on the MFT system. I wanted good image quality, interchangeable lenses, and a fairly small size. I almost decided to go with the Fuji X-E1 but reviews said the focusing speed was tricky with kids. So it was between the GX1 and E-PL5 and I went with the Oly because of the IS.

I have no formal photographic background. I actually work in the financial industry - but I find I need an outlet for the right side of my brain and photography constantly forces me to learn and re-learn.

No doubt I will be asking lots of questions on this forum in the future

petersolymosi's gear list:petersolymosi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow