Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,653Gear list
Like?
Re: Still use my 20D and 5D on travel
In reply to Bill Force, Feb 21, 2013

Bill Force wrote:

Very true and I'll go you one further. If I'm serious about documenting or preserving images I still pack and carry my Canon F-1 and a couple lenses as I'm more confident in the preservation of film, I scan and digitize for printing.

Thats actually true, on expensive farawy holidays (outside Europe) I often take my EOS300 for film. In direct comparison with my EOS 20D images, I still have the impression that the slide film (Fuji Sensia ISO200 and ISO400) has an edge in colours.

If just for my pleasure and the net I use my Nikon D2x and usually just one lens. (2X crop factor helps).

I do not like to limit myself in lens choices, gladly my 20D  and 40D are lighter then the Nikon D2x...and the EOS300 for film beats them all...

I have 4 P&S cameras but truthfully they all suck unless you are satisfied to compromise....great for pics of my wife's family.

The idea of comparisons of cameras and systems is a futile endeavor, just try to do the best with what you have, there is NO perfect camera OR system. All of the modern technology is basically aimed at reduction of size, weight and perhaps flexibility but in actuality the images are no better than the ones I take with my 1932 Kodak Recomar IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

Incidently my Canon F-1 IS FF.

True,  I would assume that brand switching is not woth it if you have a collection of lenses - and the lenses are more important than the body...

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow