D800 is within factory standard! Needs +20 to stop it front focusing.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190
Like?
Update
In reply to primeshooter, Feb 21, 2013

So, I sent more pictures that I found that were front focused, albeit not the worst one's as I deleted really unusable shots at the time. Nikon have responded via email today saying that they will investigate the problem and be in touch. They ideally want to have it checked over by another service manager who is on holiday (this I don't quite understand if the workshop manager and the pro service dept say it's within spec) but I have asked them to return it to me as that is 3 weeks I have been without it now and I need it, and they will look into it and perhaps I'll send it off again.

Plan:

Test camera with all lenses. Use "default" AF fine tune which gives much more range of front and back adjustment, delete all AF lens specific settings so that the default takes affect (default will not kick in whilst an AF fine tune value remains in the table for a specific lens). I will also check infinity focus with PDAF (albeit rare for me to focus at infinity this way) - manual states using AF fine tune can affect infinity focus (only with PDAF I assume).

It seems that Marrianne feels I will require much less of a front focus adjustment and that +20 on a specific lens setting usually only needs around a +8 = which gives room for movement.

The point about all this is that at the end of the day, the camera consistantly front focuses, so if a fine tune fixes it I guess it's not a big deal. I also think that many people claiming their D800 works it's absolute best at AF fine tune set to off, just don't have their head's screwed on properly, they definately aren't getting the best out of their glass, resolution wise.

I'll repost when I get it back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow