Pagefile size on system w/256gb ssd and 32GB RAM?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 916Gear list
Like?
Re: Pagefile size on system w/256gb ssd and 32GB RAM?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Feb 21, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

rio911 wrote:

I'm sorry Sean, but that was true when RAM was slow and HDD's were the only option. SSD's are very different and when combined with lots of fast RAM, pagefile is not a problem.

Hard drives have access times measured in a few milliseconds. SSDs have access times measured in a few dozen microseconds. RAM has access time measured in nanoseconds. So while SSDs are about 100 times faster than a hard drive, they're still about 10,000 times slower than RAM. Given the option to programs and data currently being used by the CPU on RAM, SSD or hard drive, RAM is by far the best choice.

...disabling the pagefile is actually counter productive.

How so? What's counterproductive about keeping everything in RAM? I've been doing exactly that for 4 years now and it certainly hasn't been counterproductive for me.

Hi Sean,

I'm glad it works out for you!

Disabling paging file is counterproductive because it brings all the problems and none of the benefits!  Just to make things clearer: disabling the paging file does not affect the performance of your PC, if you have large enough RAM = therefore no benefit.  But if you reach your RAM limit with disabled paging file, your pc will crash and it will crash hard = huge problems.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow