Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,194Gear list
Like?
The panorama head and processing
In reply to miro3, Feb 21, 2013

miro3 wrote:

Which Manfrotto panorama head is that?

It just says no. 25888 but I think you can to buy modules separately. To help you find out, I posted two pictures of the Manfrotto head.

How did you stitch the shots, and how did you do the PP?

For stitching I use PTGui pro, a really nice piece of software. Also Photomerge within Photoshop works well, and so do the free Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor).

Before stitching I process the files with Lightroom. The main goal at this stage is to keep all detail within the tonal range. No blown highlights or shadows without detail! I might also adjust color and contrast a bit on this stage. Be sure that all all images are processed with the same settings, and also same white balance. Then the pictures are exported as 16 bit tif.

Stitching is straightforward. Be sure to adjust the base line/horizon line so that the image doesn't tilt.

After stitching is completed, I use Photoshop for final touch up. Curves for contrast and Quick masks for selective contrast and color adjustments. Then the panorama file is cropped and saved at full resolution as my 'Master file'. I always use a copy of this file for scaling to the output size, then Unsharp mask is applied.

The most important for a sucesssful panorama is positioning the camera, and aslo getting the exposure correct. No auto exposure!

´╗┐

Manfrotto panorama head with slides for centering the camera and positioning the nodal point of the lens.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow