I need a new laptop. may still be able to Windows 7, but 8 is everywhere.

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513
Like?
Re: I need a new laptop. may still be able to Windows 7, but 8 is everywhere.
In reply to Images by SteveO, Feb 21, 2013

I think 8 is superior in several significant ways, with security and speed being foremost. On the speed front, I did an in-place upgrade of my Win7 install (on a virtually new computer), keeping all my apps and settings intact. My own home made Photoshop benchmark ran a tick over 16% faster on the new OS. Win8, from what I've read, is actually designed to run more efficiently on lesser powered devices but seems to have no problem taking advantage of horsepower when it's available.

Navigating the new UI will take you all of maybe 20-30 minutes to learn, and that can be avoided almost entirely with a little start menu add on like Start is Back.

My only real complaint so far is that the Restore Previous Versions function for individual files has been removed and replaced with something called File History, which doesn't really do the same thing at all and may not be quite ready for prime time. I've left it disabled.

Oh, and finally you can have your wall paper properly span two monitors without using third party software. I haven't made my own yet but it's on my to do list.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow