Started Feb 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,696Gear list
Like?
AF @ f/2.8
In reply to Chris Whittier, Feb 21, 2013

Chris Whittier wrote:

Hi-

Need a new lens and considering a Canon 70-200 L, but can't justify/afford the f2.8 IS II gem so considering a used f2.8 w/o IS v. the f4 IS and would appreciate thoughts or links to related thread.

As background/needs, I've been shooting with orig vintage 5D but just bought a new markIII and shoot mostly wildlife in dark forests (no flashes, no tripods) so trying to evaluate the 2.8 v. 4 IS in low light. My brain tells me the supposed 4 stops gained by IS outweigh the 1 stop given up (plus DOF) but since specs don't make images...

I've also handled the new Tamron SP 70-200/f2.8 VC, which would be another option but I can only find new to purchase, and I need to buy this week.

Thanks,

C

One thing to consider is the AF of the mkIII. I don't know for sure, but I suspect a higher sensitivity at f/2.8. That would give a different advantage, which might also be relevant in lower light situations.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow