Sell Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro for Nikon 85mm 1.8G?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoshRtek
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Sell Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro for Nikon 85mm 1.8G?
Feb 21, 2013

Hello all,

I bought the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro back in 2009 thinking I would get into macro photography.  Four years have passed, and I really haven't exercised any macro photography at all.  I do love this lens for it's razor sharp optics, but it's a bit large, and just a bit too long for use indoor.

I've been thinking about selling the lens and getting the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G in its place.  Will I miss the VR?  I really like the 85mm focal length for portraits vs. 105mm.  Also, the f/1.8 aperture is better considering I still shoot a lot of film with my F100.

Lastly, anyone mulled over the idea of the 1.4G vs. the 1.8G?  Is the $1000 difference really worth it?  I leaning on the idea that it isn't.  Plus, with Nikon's lens rebates, I can get the 85mm 1.8G for $400 and have money left over from the sale of the 105mm Macro.

Thanks all for your help and guidance!

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow