Girl's Basketball--last game of the season

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
luvmybec
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball--last game of the season
In reply to Nevada-is-HOME, Feb 21, 2013

Nevada, thanks for the feedback.  I just bought the Sony in August, so I don't think I can jump ship yet. Although my brother in law has a D700 I might could buy, but I'm afraid even used, it might be out of my price range.  I actually love the Sony camera and just figured I didn't have my technique and/or lens combo down yet.  What is it about Sony specifically that makes them not as good for indoor sports as Canon/Nikon?  If it's not the lens, then I guess I haven't figured that out yet.  The salesman convinced me it would be great for basketball.

The Sigma on ebay looks promising.  I haven't seen that one before...would the focus be fast enough though, without HSM?  Although I'd love to have wonderful shots blown up to poster size, I really just want to get good enough pics to put in a scrapbook, etc...then in two more years, we'll probably be out of the basketball business.  I have the beercan lens for the 200mm range and it takes great action shots outdoors, so I don't really want to invest in a $2K lens to shoot indoor shots for just two years.  I might however, spring for the Sigma 85MM, if I could find a used one.  I think I'd get more use out of that in the long run.

I haven't tried shooting the sports with manual focus but that seems like it would be extremely hard to do especially from the end of the court.  Regionals are tomorrow night though...I'll try that and see how that goes.  Any tips or other camera settings on the best way to do that?

You have some nice shots too, by the way!!  Thanks again for the input.

luvmybec's gear list:luvmybec's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow