revisiting old E-3 images with LR4: WOW! (share your experience please)

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
People throw raws away?
In reply to Bruce Clarke, Feb 21, 2013

But, that's like film!!  I keep the raws and only create JPGs of the few I'm outputting.

I use DXO, Lightroom and Capture One - all have made significant improvements in the last few years.

All three had upgrades in the last year and all were quite significant.  DXO, for instance, now has a default HDR recovery that tends to make most pictures more acceptable at first glance, though sometimes I turn it off.

Part of the raw converter choices these day also boils down to which one does the most painless lens corrections especially in the m4/3 world as most of those lenses absolutely require a lot of correction since they are not doing it optically in the lenses so much anymore.

Of the 3 I'm finding I'm using DXO most - but at times for critical shots it's hard to beat LR.  They seem to have a different approach to color that in some shots just does not seem to be able to be beat.
I like the workflow best in Capture One, but with the lack of true lens correction I'm using it less and less as I shot more with lenses that require correction.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JuhaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow