D800 is within factory standard! Needs +20 to stop it front focusing.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Try Marianne's method
In reply to primeshooter, Feb 20, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

Received a mail regarding my D800 which has been at Nikon, Surrey for 3 weeks now:

I have spoken to the workshop manager and he has advised me that after careful examination your D800 is to Nikon standard and does not need any adjusting.

From the sample image you provided, he has commented that the shooting conditions may have caused issues that you are currently experiencing with the focus. Shooting in low light with a low contrast on a focus point that has small detail is a difficult subject for the autofocus to pick up so it is unable to create sharp images.

The unit has been through a full diagnostic test and it has also been tested by our professional department, work shop manager and service manager and they are all confident that the unit is to Nikon standard and the focus is correct. They are currently looking into the points that you raised in your previous email and are carrying out tests under these circumstances.

To say I am not best pleased is an understatement. I need to apply ridiculous AF fine tune of +20 applied for EVERY lens I own (yes every) to make the camera focus correctly but since I am at the end of the scale, don't know if I could achieve sharper results.

Recently, Marianne Oelund discovered that D800's default fine-tune range is 2.5x larger than lens specific one. Please, try to

1. Remove the fine-tune setting for a given lens
  2. Fine tune it by means of default fine-tune setting.

According to Marianne default fine-tune adjustment unit is worth about 2.5 of lens-specific one.

Leo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow