Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,678Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Feb 20, 2013

Nordstjernen wrote:

lross wrote:

Maybe it good image quality compared to the old one. I think the old one was junk. I had the old Sony 50mm F1.4 and it was very soft wide open compared to the sigma. So I sold it and kept the Sigma.

Wide open softer than Sigma, and not the same smooth bokeh. But stopped down, better than the Sigma. The Minolta/Sony was a very good 50 mm bright prime when it came.

I think using a 50 mm f/1.4 at f/5.6 makes little sense to me, specially since I can get fantastic results with the 24-70 at f/5.6.  To me, if one seeks a f/1.4 lens, 95% should be taken at f/1.4-2.

The question is: Do you use your 50 mm wide open (Sigma) or stopped down (Sony)?

Hope the Zeiss is great at all apertures, since I really like this focal length and the aperture blades on my Sony 50 mm f:1.4 is stuck forever. Would be great with faster focus and SSM too, and I think all Zeiss lenses are built for long time everyday use.

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow