Need help selecting an entry DSLR or Mirrorless camera

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dboeren
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: Need help selecting an entry DSLR or Mirrorless camera
In reply to Richard the picture man, Feb 20, 2013

Richard the picture man wrote:

I read your posts with interest and it is obvious you are very keen and enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is the number one requirement for successful photography. However, I am sure you can see a `but` coming on.

Originally you asked for suggestions about an entry level DSLR or Mirrorless camera. Plus you mention you may wish to do a few `artistic` shots. Now you are talking about the LCD and frame rates. I know how good it is to have the latest and greatest, but these items will not make you into a photographer. It is a bit like riding in and driving a car. You go for a ride in any old car but you need to be a driver and a good one at that to appreciate and get the most out of a Jaguar.

If you are going to `drive` your camera, you need to learn how to drive it. Things like - depth of field - Hyperfocal distance - perspective compression - motion blur - high speed motion photography - macro etc. are things you should be learning. You can use any DSLR to teach yourself these things, even a 6 or seven year old one. When you have mastered at least some of these skills you will have the knowledge to make the correct purchase for the type of photography you wish to do.

Master these skills and you will take super images that will please you and make your family happy. Oh, I forgot to mention the pleasure, fun and satisfaction you will have.

The alternative is to be a happy snapper with a point and shoot - every now and then.

Point taken.  I'm a programmer by trade so I do have a tendency to think about features and any sort of downgrade or removal is going to strike me as a bad idea.  But then again I live in a world where once designed - everything is made of zeros and ones which are free.

But mostly I was just trying to answer headfirst's question.  Not all the changes are important to me, but neither did it seem like enough of an upgrade to be worth waiting a couple of extra months and paying more.  I actually WAS interested in the frame rate specifically because of our 2 year old son.  He doesn't stand still for pictures and more frames to me means a higher "hit rate" that one of them will come out with a good pose.  It's supposed to be one of the main advantages of Sony's DSLT design and without it the whole package loses some luster I think.

Anyway, I've ordered some photography books and plan to look around for some sort of class whether local or online, I do realize that the camera won't just do everything by itself.  I'm skittish about buying used items that I don't feel qualified to inspect so I didn't look much into buying an older DSLR & lenses but I can see that as an option if I can get a photographer friend to check it out.  My friend is also talking about taking some shooting trips together to local destinations which I feel should be very educational for me.  I realize it will take some time, and starting off maybe all I'll get is clearer looking snapshots until I start to learn my way around, but you've got to start somewhere.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow