E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,042Gear list
Re: K-5 ii vs OMD - EM5 test at the camera store
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 20, 2013

DaveP E1 wrote:

Picked up the K-30 kit w/ 18-135 - just came back from a lunchtime photo expedition with outstading snowly landscapes with clouds & trees - super pleased. Lens distortion is not noticable at all. I'm shooting Ap priority for now with Ap & ISO on the wheels until I get used to all the options.

I'm not sure what Ap means. I leave the dial functions as Pentax intended (aperture on rear dial, shutter speed on the front).

Program mode is very useful on a Pentax, because it has a function called Hyper-Program. You can leave the camera in P mode and instantly shift to aperture priority by turning the rear dial, or shift into shutter priority by turning the front dial. You can set ISO to a specific value or let it float. To return to program, hit the Green button.

I suggest you also try TAv mode. It allows you to set the aperture and shutter speed and the ISO floats. Unlike some other brands who call this mode "manual with auto ISO", TAv allows you to use exposure compensation. You can also limit the range that ISO controls in, but you have to be careful to stay within bounds of proper exposure (settings flash if exposure is out of range).

There are excellent explanations of the modes here:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K5/K5MODES.HTM

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow