From Nex to D600 to K-5II

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
HPS3
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
Re: From Nex to D600 to K-5II
In reply to jackie semple, Feb 20, 2013

jackie semple wrote:

You say, "I decided to sell the Nikon gear and move to Pentax.". Not looking for exact details but was that difficult to do? Did you sell via E-Bay or trade in? I would imagine that you suffered a significant financial loss but I support your bravery to do so and enjoy - life is too short.

I actually sold everything on Fredmiranda. I bought the D600 kit for $1996 through Amazon. I ended up splitting the lens for $325 and the body for $1650. The other lenses I sold were the 85 f1.8G, 50 f1.8G and Tamron 70-300 VC. I bought all the lenses on Fredmiranda and pretty much broke even. I also broke even on a SB700 flash.

When I bought the D600, I thought FF was the way to go. After having the dust problems that's surrounding the D600 and Nikon's quality control, I knew I wanted to get away. I have always been intersted in Pentax since the K-5 was introduced.

For the past year I have shot with the Nex6/7 and OMD. I really like the size of the mirrorless cameras but they aren't very versatile. The K-5II is just awesome from the image quality to the body. It's just so comfortable to use. The button layout is great.

The difference between the K-5II and D600 isn't that great. Even the D600 has noise above 1600. I definitely think the K-5II is better at skin tones and texture. I found the faces on the D600 always looked unnatural or smoothed over and I shoot RAW. The Pentax photos look more natural to me. I do wish the K-5 processor was faster.

HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow