Pocket Wizards dont fir consistently

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 6,001Gear list
Like?
my experience
In reply to kaholt, Feb 20, 2013

PW plus units work 100% of the time..ok, 99% - sometimes the antenna may line up with something and not fire. move it and it works fine. I rarely use ch 1 as I've issues with random flash going off on it, so I just use 2 as a rule.
The flex....crap. Well, not totally true - well built, but not reliable. I use canon (580s which have a 'known issue' regarding limited range) and outside as fill flash they seem to work 95% of the time just fine.
Inside less reliable and in M mode at say, a dark wedding reception forget it. 20% reliable.
I only use it now for HS seniors on location- I can work slow and if they won't work I can make do otherwise.
I tried using them on sports leagues shoots - I lke the eTTL capability - but postioning them is tricky. I've had them work on my left but not on my right. work for 10 kids then go nuts (same thing at wedding receptions).
Great idea, fine for a hobbyist. Not ready for prime time.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow