Epson 3880 Driver vs. On-Printer paper settings.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JerryG1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,230
Like?
Epson 3880 Driver vs. On-Printer paper settings.
Feb 20, 2013

Feeling  a little foolish for not looking into this earlier.  I have my Epson 3880 about  a year, getting mostly good results, but now am wondering if I've actually been using the paper settings I think I'm using.

I print from Lightroom, occasionally from Photoshop, and control the printer through the Epson driver--never made print settings directly on the printer.  Recently, I  noticed that my printer LCD displayed "Paper No.1" of the  "CUSTOM PAPER" group. Exploring that a bit revealed 11 options mysteriously  labeled "Standard" and "Paper No.1" through "Paper No.10".  These options specify things like platen gap, drying time, and other details --  details I usually select as a group by simply choosing a paper type in the driver.

So my first question is  why and when would anyone use these on-printer options instead of doing it through the driver?

Secondly, which prevails, driver or on-printer choices?  I don't see options to disable driver settings on the printer, or to disable printer settings in the driver.

Finally, does the LCD of the on-board controller possibly show my current and previous driver paper-selections, or were they factory programmed?  I'm wondering because I never entered all those Paper No.1, etc. values at the printer, and I never intentionally selected Paper No.1.

Incidentally, I changed the "Paper No.1" selection to "Standard" from the CUSTOM PAPER group, since that was devoid of preset values.

Running Windows 7, if that matters.

Appreciate comments from Epson users.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

JerryG
My galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/jerryg1

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow