Pagefile size on system w/256gb ssd and 32GB RAM?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: SSD almost full
In reply to Chris Noble, Feb 20, 2013

Chris Noble wrote:

glasswave wrote:

I have just put together a new system build (Win7x64, lga 2011 i7 3930 six core, 32gb ram, Samsung 830 256GB ssd, gtx660ti).

What I am wondering is how big I should set my pagefile size. I know its generally best just to let windows manage it (which makes it usually about = to RAM), but I am a little cramped for space.

What is taking so much space on the SSD? Mine is half full. Are all your data files on the HDD? Do you have a lot of old programs or files in your Downloads folder? Do you run Disk Cleanup periodically?

I was wondering the same thing: a fresh install of Win7 and all of my programs installed takes me only halfway on a 120GB drive!

To the OP, what version of Win7 did you install?  The Pro and Ultimate versions are very capable OS, RAM and virtual memory management wise.  Generally I would not suggest moving a pagefile to HDD especially when you have an SSD as the OS drive.  Windows will always access it, whether it needs it or not, but that will create a bottleneck in your whole system.  It is like having a sports car and drip-feeding it fuel through a straw.

The last point that I want to make is that bothering with the pagefile was required when the HDD size and speed was at a premium.  You don't seem to be having that problem.  I would strongly recommend that you leave only essential OS files and programs on the SSD and move your data to the HDD, leaving your OS to manage the pagefile.  Whether it is 32GB or not, the OS can do a much better job of maintaining the system automatically and adjust the pagefile size.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow