DotTune: Video Tutorial for AF tuning without photographs

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,502Gear list
Like?
Re: This guidance is not fully reliable
In reply to Horshack, Feb 20, 2013

I find it amazing the number who come up with a suggested calibrating system and ignore Nikon's guidance on what can cause poor auto focus accuracy.

The suggested target is a regular geometric pattern. Page 100 of the D800 instruction book, and also the instructions for every Nikon camera I have owned in the last 13 years, confirm geometric patterns are not always consistent with accurate focus.

Although I have seen nothing official from Nikon, on the Thom Hogan site there is a target which does not have equal geometric spacing which some suggest is used by Nikon. Whether this second target comes from Nikon or not is a secondary issue, the important detail is it avoids possible poor focus accuracy which sometimes occurs when a regular geometric pattern.

With a good autofocus target the video link suggestions are a reasonable starting point. Whether  relying on the autofocus confirmation light for calibrating to the resolution potential of a D800 with an f1.4 lens used wide open at minimum focus is another topic.

What should not be another topic is Nikon's guidance that the suggested autofocus target may not be reliable enough for accurate fine tuning.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow