E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907Gear list
Re: There's a very obvious choice you may have overlooked.
In reply to TrapperJohn, Feb 20, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

Macchu Picchu is at a fairly high altitude, where the air is thin and the staircases are long. You really want to haul a heavy dslr rig up there when you don't have to? Galapagos has weight restrictions on traveling there. Plus, there's the general hassle of maneuvering yourself in strange lands while hauling a bulky camera bag.

For general use, this would be a multifaceted debate, and I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't side with the Pentax, but given the travel and where you're going, the obvious choice is the OMD. Because it delivers the same IQ as either the E5 or K5ii, at considerable less size and bulk.

One can nitpick over specs that in the end won't be all that noticable. You can't nitpick over the substantial difference in size and weight.

An OMD, with one multipurpose zoom like the 12-50 (soft at 50mm, but otherwise a decent lens, and it has a surprisingly good macro mode), plus a couple of small primes: 45 1.8, maybe a 17 1.8 or 12 2.0. Add the MZD 75-300 which is slow but remarkably small for the focal length, for capturing the fascinating wildlife on the Galapagos. Check out the size of a 400mm zoom for the Pentax... not small.

The OMD with one GP zoom, two fast primes, and one long tele zoom, will be smaller and lighter than an E5 or K5ii with one fast zoom. It won't restrict your movements or your other activities to nearly the degree that a dslr rig will. With two batteries in the grip, it can take a lot of shots.

I own both E1 and E3, plus OMD. If I were going on that trip, there'd be no debate at all. It would be the OMD, so I could capture beautiful photographs, without interfering with everything else I was doing.

Why not have your cake and eat it, too?

If I was heading off to the Galapagos on a once in a lifetime trip, my biggest priority, photo-wise, would be to have a top performing long zoom, and this is where the OMD fails. In Olympus world, I'd far sooner take an E5 + 50-200 combo and put up with the bigger kit than take an OMD with its slow & very mediocre zooms. If your priority is having a super light kit then go with the OMD.

In Pentax land, I'd get a K30 with a fast prime or two, and either the excellent, but slow 50-300 or if funds permit, and for absolutely outstanding IQ, the DA 60-250.

-- hide signature --

britcam
The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow