Fujifilm XM-1?

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm XM-1?
In reply to nawknai, Feb 20, 2013

nawknai wrote:

I'm a long-time Apple user (not a fanboy, mind you), but I hope Fuji follows Apple's creed of not (intentionally) making a crappy product just for the sake of offering products at all price points.
So far, Fuji hasn't succumb to making cheap, bad lenses, and I hope they continue this with their camera line.

Offering a "budget" X-E1 would probably mean that there's no OVF or EVF, so you'd have just the rear LCD to compose with. I always felt that Fuji was selling products blessed with both ​form ​and​ function, not just a retro form for the sake of having it (e.g. the early Olympus m4/3 offerings). Imagine having such great manual controls on a camera that you're holding in front of you at arms length!!

Besides, why follow a bad recipe used by other manufacturers? Creating pared-down products always feels like a race to the bottom, and I don't see many manufacturers increase their success by offering more cheap crap than their competitors. Long term, these companies fade (e.g. Acer and their netbooks = short term success, long term invisibility).

They're low profit margin products offered by the manufacturers, it doesn't help their brand image (no pun intended), and when you're talking about the camera industry, these customers are the ones who stick with the kit lens and never buy a 2nd lens, so there's little motivation for a manufacturer to increase their marketshare and lens sales by increasing their share of the camera market by moving cheap cameras.

So what you're pretty much saying is:

"I have no need for this type of camera with no EVF, cheap build and less manual control features at a cheaper price point. Therefore no one else must have a need for this camera and Fujifilm should not make such a camera because they won't make much profit based on my opinion that netbooks are similar to mirrorless cameras (ignoring the fact they are a completely different product and also ignoring the success of Sony and Panasonic's basic entry level mirrorless cameras in Asia) because I know what is best for a big company like Fujifilm and they should not expand as a company because it conflicts with my personal preferences on how a camera should properly function."

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow