DotTune: Video Tutorial for AF tuning without photographs

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211
Like?
Re: DotTune: Video Tutorial for AF tuning without photographs
In reply to Horshack, Feb 20, 2013

I don't have a D800, though I checked it for a while. I eventually bought a D600 and the manual is the same. I only have a few minutes now so I checked it a bit hand held etc. but I think I figured it out. It's just a matter of "visualizing it".

The manual is right about the direction of the fine tuning and you are right about what each arrow shows. However there is one confusing part and I think at the end, where you actually do it, it makes sense and your explanation in the middle is a mistake.

To clarify, when I say the left arrow I am talking about the one on the left of the confirmation light dot, which is pointing to the right, and vise versa for the right arrow, which is the one on the right side of the light dot, pointing to the left. Also it is not my first language so I hope I can explain it clearly.

Let's say focus is accurate and requires no fine tuning. You focus and then turn the focus ring slightly to the left, it will "front focus" and the left arrow will light up. Opposite when turning to the right. So far it is correct about the arrows.

Then if you fine tune to e.g. +10 you will get back focus and the opposite if you fine tune to e.g. -10, you'll get front focus.

However, when the lens is not focusing correctly, the situation is different. Let's say it is back focusing. The camera thinks it is focusing correctly, but when you turn the focus ring to the left to have correct focus, the camera will light up the left arrow. Since it's back focusing, what you need is negative fine tuning, when the left arrow lights up. Vise versa for front focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow