Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Photo trip preferences
Feb 20, 2013

I'm trying to allocate my limited travel photography budget, and feel like I can approach my trips from two perspectives.

I can take photo trips with professional photographers and get an immersive, small group experience with a fabulous photography teacher.  In this scenario, the focus on photography may be so absolute it can exclude the opportunity to get a feeling for the place (history, geology, flora and fauna, etc) and people in the it.  Also, there are only so many pros doing workshops, so some locations on my list would be hard to cover with a pro workshop.

-or-

I can take photo trips with a profesional travel arranger (I got a beautiful catalog from Nat Geo today; many others have filled my mailbox in the past few years).  These offerings do not necessarily include photographic training (some do), but they present an opportunity to tour with a naturalist and/or local guide who knows the area and can provide a feeling for the place and the people which helps my photographic expression.

(Please note there are clearly exceptions in both groups - I'm presenting an overview to generate discusion)

So ... what is your preference?  Do you find solid days behind the camera overwhelming?  Do you find touring with a group that does not have photography as their primary goal a distraction?  Any other thoughts?

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow