OM-D EM-5 owners...12-50 kit or Panny 12-35 2.8?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Questions thread
Albert Ang
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 owners...12-50 kit or Panny 12-35 2.8?
In reply to JoeMoMo, Feb 20, 2013

JoeMoMo wrote:

Do I go with body only and get the 12-35 2.8? If so, what am I sacrificing besides the extra length, macro capability and more money?

I have 12-50mm and used it for half-a-year. The reason i bought it with 12-50mm because that was the only option available in my local store. At telephoto end, this lens is very slow (f6.3) unless if you shoot outdoor at bright-day. For me, this extra reach becomes useless.

After selling my Oly 12mm and saved for few months, I bought the 12-35mm. Without doubt it's a more superior lens in term of sharpness. I used it intensively in my prev trip to Indonesia, India and Nepal. Indonesian was in monsoon seasons and India and Nepal were in winter season - it makes the sunlight is pretty scarce. f2.8 really helps me to take photos with low iso during that time.

Strongly recommend you to ditch 12-50mm and get 12-35mm instead if you can afford it.

One thing to note, Olympus OMD doesn't fix the CA or distortion for non-Olympus lenses. So, you have to fix it in LR. For me, it doesn't matter because I always pp-ed my photo.

Is the panny weather sealed and does it have electric zoom for video?

It's called splash-proof - i don't think it's meant as a professional outdoor lens like Nikon 17-55mm or 24-70mm. It looks like it's just designed to withstand quick rain only.

No, it doesn't have power zoom like 12-50mm

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow