E-m5 vs. Sony Rx1

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Baumhauer
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: E-m5 vs. Sony Rx1
In reply to Robgo2, Feb 20, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

To be honest, I wasn't thinking of you personally when I wrote that sentence, given that you were completely unknown to me at the time. I have not seen sample image from the NX300 anywhere on the web. B&H lists the camera as being available for advance purchase with an expected arrival date of March 25. Sometime around then we will be able to judge if the camera is equal to the hype. Until that time, I will say no more on the subject except to repeat that it may indeed be a worthy addition to the premium compact camera class. If that turns out to be the case, then I will consider buying one for my own use.

In general, people should not underestimate Samsung. They are a very big company with very big ambitions. Already, they are are challenging Apple's dominance in the cell phone market. There is no doubt that they can build first rate cameras and lenses, if that is their goal.

Rob

Samsung's NX line is better than sales outside of South Korea would lead you to believe, but I think the system suffers from the same problem as the Sony NEX - APS-C sensors lead to too-large lenses and cameras that are no longer 'compact', no matter how they're categorized. Also, I don't think that Samsung has an EVF available for the NX cameras that don't have one built-in.

Samsung is certainly big enough to play the long game in the camera market, but I don't see much evidence that they're any nearer to breaking through (in the non-Korean markets) than they were a year or two ago.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow