As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
teddoman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Sad...
In reply to harry cannoli, Feb 19, 2013

Just had a scare. A 7 year old HD of mine wouldn't power up.

Took it to the computer repair shop and luckily the drive is fine. Just need to buy a new enclosure for it.

We started backing up after we lost a few years of photos from back when we started dating. Very sad.
Some other families aren't so lucky. The tech showed me a Mac computer with 20 years of family photos on its hard drive that were not backed up that he's been trying to fix for 2 weeks. Scary.

When we moved last year and our setup changed, we got busy and never set up a new backup system to replace the regular backing up we used to do. So I got really scared when I realized the drive with the first two years of my kids photos was semi-dead. Thank heavens it is intact.

So that is the kick in the butt I needed to get back on the regular backup regimen. It's one of those things you know you're supposed to do, but a lot of people probably are lazy about it until it's too late.

Every photo storage medium has its weak points. Digital files have to be backed up. Printed photos fade, take up physical storage space and can't be "backed up" in the same 100% way as digital. All storage mediums are vulnerable to fire (both prints and hard drives). With digital you can back up and place a copy is a different location. That is if you are not lazy about setting up your backup system like me.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow