6D bird tracking and other pictures

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,479Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D bird tracking and other pictures
In reply to riknash, Feb 19, 2013

riknash wrote:

Thanks for the nice report showing how well the 6D can track. What would also be good, is a set of examples where bird flight is against a busy background. Usually the AF has the best advantage to accurately focus when there is only a single subject and nothing else can distract it, such as in your examples. Given the AF configuration used, does user tracking abilities significantly influence the keeper ratio?

What was the keeper ratio of the dog running towards.you?

You are right, objects against a busy background can be harder to track. A lot of factors come into play, such as color and brightness of the subject compared to the background, size of the subject, how many AF points are used for tracking etc. I will try against busy backgrounds and report my findings here.

I am sure user tracking abilities will have some influence. I think very little practice will be needed for subjects/conditions I have posted. With 6D it should be much easier to learn as there isn't much AF configurations to play with.

Th dog was a single shot. This was taken a day or two before the birds. I was only trying to see how accurately it focuses on moving subjects, wasn't trying to track them (I thought that would be futile after reading about its 'bad' AF).

I actually want to compare it with 5D2.

Something else I need to mention. These birds were shot with 70-200/2.8 II, whereas most of my 5D3 birds were shot with 400/5.6. I don't know if this has influenced my findings and conclusion.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow