Lens Advice for Europe Travel, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, Napoli, Barcelona

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Advice for Europe Travel, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, Napoli, Barcelona
In reply to ctaborda, Feb 19, 2013

ctaborda wrote:

- Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

- Nikon 18-55mm (kit lens)

- Nikon 17-55mm f2.8

- Nikon 55-300 f4.5-5.6

- Nikon 35mm f1.8

I'd take the 17-55 for its IQ. I don't know how much you travel to these palces, but nothing makes up for good IQ. Forget about the kit lens. You will be there in a once in a lifetime spot and you come home with a mediocre image from the kitlens. Trust your 17-55!

You'll need the 55-300. You may not need a long lens that often, but when you need it, you need it. In all these places there are all sorts of beautiful statues, bizarre decorations on top of churches and age old buildings, and you would want to bring them close.

The 35/1.8 is for nighttime shooting or for shooting in dark places. You have nothing to make up for that 1.8 speed. And it's sharp.

I would not care about the 11-16. For years I shot with my 12-24, but ever since I have the 16-85VR, I barely touch that wide zoom again. If you want to pack everything into your image, you'll end of with nothing but boring, overcrowded images. Dare to be selective. Less is more!

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Ricoh GR Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow