E-PM2 IQ looks fantastic on studio shots - but what would lose with the kit lens?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
E-PM2 IQ looks fantastic on studio shots - but what would lose with the kit lens?
Feb 19, 2013

I'm in the market for a premium compact, but there seems to be a compelling case for me to go with an E-PM2 with kit lens instead. If I compare image quality to the G15 at the Imaging Resource Comparometer , the E-PM2 has about a 3 stop advantage with its large sensor. Although is loses 2 stops in the slower kit lens, that still makes it a better option than the Canon G15 at a similar price.

The caveat here is that these studio shots are taken with a prime lens - not a kit lens. My question is what would I me losing with the kit lens in these comparisons? I assume I would be losing some sharpness, but the noise would be the same.

I've had an entry level DSLR before and a Sony NEX with kit lenses and never bothered with additional lenses, so kit lenses generally suit my needs. So I'm not a stickler for tack sharpness - I'm more concerned about decent low light performance. I don't want to go to primes - and can't afford it anyway. So given this from what I see the E-PM2 with kit lens would give me better low light performance than the G15, for example. I would just lose some sharpness from the studio comparison shots I've examined at Imaging Resource.

Am I correct?

Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow