E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434Gear list
Re: Pentax has a nice walk-around zoom lens? LOL!
In reply to Karaya, Feb 19, 2013

Karaya wrote:

Perhaps I am spoiled by the main lenses I now use, the ZD50, 150 and 300 on my E-5 and a Canon 85L f1.2 on a 5D MKIII, but I do not see why anyone would put up with a lens that exhibits such extremes of geometric distortion, vignetting and corner softness unless adjusted to some 'sweet spot' of moderate focal length and severely stopped down aperture. Isolating your subjects from the background will be very difficult and what you gain in sensor performance, in terms of low noise and resolution, will all be lost by lack of lens performance.

Irrelevant car analogy, waste of time to write or read.

Most people use zooms for convenience and the 18-135 is as capable as most consumer zooms. I know because I own one, along with four other K-mount consumer zooms. IQ is right in the middle of this pack. Mechanically it is more like a pro lens. All extended zooms suffer compromises, but that is how the grand majority of people shoot the grand majority of their photos. CA, vignetting and distortion are controllable in the camera or in post processing. The 18-135 has some special qualities and some limitations, just like any zoom.

I have a bag full of superb primes too, and I use them when I want pristine quality or for special purposes, but the 18-135 is always in the bag for its weather resistance, accepable IQ and terrific FL range. Some samples here for you to browse:

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=4076

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow