Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phobosx13x
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Good camcorder for family use?
Feb 19, 2013

So what I'm looking for is a good camcorder for family use. I've looked around and it seems most focus on the web is for movie making. I won't be making movies, or training films or anything that anyone outside of my family will see or care about.

I just want good, clear, clean video of my kids.

I don't mind adjusting settings, but my wife wants something easy mode. I'm willing to spend $500 on this, maybe $1,000 if I can see a clearly articulate-able reason for going so high.

I understand the need for a shotgun style microphone, and will probably add one but I would like something small and portable, that could be left attached to the camcorder.

I've thought about using a camera, but frankly I'm not convinced. I haven't seen then address the uses that I want. Most of the camera videos I've seen are shots of static environments in bright lights. I want to video kids running around the living room or at a birthday party. Also, they don't seem to have inputs for a external microphone. And I don't know how well their autofocus is.

That being said, I got a Sony HDR-CX260V from Costco for $350, mostly because I needed one for this weekend and if it was crap Costco has a great return policy. I've used it a bit (recoding at 1080/60p) and it seems to be OK, with my biggest complaint the being the built in mic picking up everything. I like that it is extremely small and fits in my wifes purse with ease. But there is no way to attach a microphone without using a bracket, and there goes the small compact size.

Lastly just looking at the specs, it seems that Sony put the same sensor from the CX260 from 2012 into the new 2013 CX220. Can anyone more knowledgeable about this comment?

Ricoh CX2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow