E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Karaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,975Gear list
Re: Pentax has a nice walk-around zoom lens? LOL!
In reply to audiobomber, Feb 19, 2013

I still do not understand the paradox of people who seek maximum performance from their camera's sensors but at the same time seem to be willing to accept no end of design compromises in the lens they attach to it.

It seems analogous to a new car purchaser who studies all the road tests and takes some test drives and decides to get a Nissan 350 Z (or Porsche Cayman or whatever) because the acceleration of the turbo charged engine is 'awesome' and he loves the fact that the suspension system was tuned on a racetrack in Germany, BUT, since his main use will be commuting to work in some pot hole strewn suburban midwest city he orders it with an automatic transmission and runs it down to the local wall - mart to have some cheap M&S rated all season tires mounted on steel rims installed plus a child safety seat strapped in back for summer vacations with the family. If this is the mission statement why not shop for a Camray or Accord to begin with? Or, in camera terms, just get a Digital Rebel and a 10x zoom lens and be done with it.

Perhaps I am spoiled by the main lenses I now use, the ZD50, 150 and 300 on my E-5 and a Canon 85L f1.2 on a 5D MKIII, but I do not see why anyone would put up with a lens that exhibits such extremes of geometric distortion, vignetting and corner softness unless adjusted to some 'sweet spot' of moderate focal length and severely stopped down aperture. Isolating your subjects from the background will be very difficult and what you gain in sensor performance, in terms of low noise and resolution, will all be lost by lack of lens performance.

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow