Is 6D GPS useful?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Is 6D GPS useful?
In reply to Matt Daddy, Feb 19, 2013

after almost a week I'm guessing it's pretty much figured out but thought i'd type anyway since I think I know the answer

In short, if you have GPS logging turn 'on', if it has been tracking your position such as while you were outdoors, if you head indoors and lose GPS reception, photos taken indoors should be geotagged your last place of reception (i.e. the doorstep to your indoor location). As long as you have GPS log turned on, even if you do not select the tagging function on the camera, this can be added afterwards through Canon or third party program where it would compare the time photo was taken with the location where you were at the time according to GPS log.

On a practical level, what I described above is pretty much how it works. On a trip which involved entering a large museum (Vatican museum to be exact), the camera tagged the route up to the entrance of the museum, and all photos taken inside the museum were tagged at the museum entrance.

edit: I wrote a few more comments about the GPS in general if interested on another thread here

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow