Curiosity only: If we could print a RAW file, would it look better then a printed JPEG file?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
HumanTarget
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?
Re: Curiosity only: If we could print a RAW file, would it look better then a printed JPEG file?
In reply to apaflo, Feb 19, 2013

apaflo wrote:

That still misses the point. With any given RAW file the values for color and luminance of any given pixel have NOT been set. Instead there is a range of possible values, plus the potential of those being adjusted depending on which values are also used for other pixels. It's not an image, it's just sensor data.

An image file has a color and luminance precisely specified for each and every pixel in the image.

You're missing my point.  Cameras can output JPEG's.  That must mean that the camera manufacturers must have decided on a standard way of processing the information given the camera settings, correct?  Raw files contain that same information.  So my point is that it's not the data itself that's undefined, but the processing of said data.  The fact that the data can be processed in any number of ways does not contradict my point; it is in full agreement with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow