E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
DaveP E1
Regular MemberPosts: 118
K-5 ii vs OMD - EM5 test at the camera store
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 19, 2013

Everyone;

This thread has skewed me in the direction of K-5 ii  vs OMD as I don't really have much of an Oly lens investment and the K-5 means buying into older technology with the lack of Olympus support down the road looming. Granted I'm missing the great Oly lens lineup but the Pentax lineup is more than satisfactory. The main advantage of the OMD setup was weight/portability.  On the other hand I saw the K-5 / 18-135 as a cost effective simple 1 lens solution for the upcoming trip with a clear upgrade path down the road.  Also, the Pentax K30 was thrown into the mix as bargain alernative to the K-5 ii.

My trip to the camera store went as such.  I first asked to test the OMD-EM5. The salesman was very high on this camera  & I was handed the 12-50 kit.  I had no problem with the viewfinder, or handling, although I was aware I was looking trough an EVF. There may even be a little lag as I panned around the store. The build quality was great but I thought that the function dials were more for the classic look rather than functional.  I took a bunch of shots at all focal lengths, may have failed to autofocus once, but was pleased.

Then asked to see the K-5 ii - even though I pre-called , they didn't have one to show me - was at their other store.  Then I saw the K30 kit on the shelf , an 18-55 I think, and asked to see it. But told them I really wanted the 18-135 kit.  They had a loose 18-135 on the shelf and paired it up for me.  I have to say the build quality of the 18-135 is at least on par with the Olympus HQ lenses. The build on the K30 is adequate but no E-1. The K30/18-135 felt perfect in my hands, all the buttons were in the right places and the grip was phenomenal -  the ergonomics were superb.  The viewfinder is large and bright and the first shutter release (maybe it was the sound) got my blood boiling.  I was firing off shots rapidly in every direction and was amazed at the laser sharp images and instant AF lock-in at all focal lengths.  The dealer was ready to bundle the K30 & 18-135 for $1099.  This setup will provide some weight advantages and will make a nice sinlge lense walk-around.  Can now afford wide angle lense to compliment the setup.

The downside to the K30 is low battery life ( 410 shots ) as part of the battery compartment is dedicated to AA batteries.  On the other hand the AA option could be a lifesaver on a trip to remote parts of the earth.

Much thanks to everyone on your input.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow