ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
watcher1
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
OMD E-M5 + Pany 12-35mm: A Very Good Match
Feb 19, 2013

Hey Gang,

After struggling at first to learn how to make the most of my OMD E-M5, I think that I am finally getting the hang of it after a recent trip to Cambodia and Vietnam. Fourteen straight days of continually taking photos under mostly difficult lighting conditions (bright sunlight and deep shadows, plus mostly bright-hazy skies), while traipsing through temple ruins, villages, market places and along river shorelines and rice fields, gives one the opportunity to make many mistakes, yet learn from them. (I always was the fastest one in the slow group!).

I am coming from more than 40 years of SLR (and then DSLR) experience; most recently with a D300 and D5100. And yes, I primarily used an OM-1 and OM-4 back in the day, so the OMD has a familiar feel. The 12-35mm is a big lens, but gave the camera a size and heft reminiscent of my DSLRs. The combination felt good in the hand.

Anyway, I offer the following images as examples of what the E-M5 and 12-35mm combination can do. All was not perfect: distortion was an issue at the wider angles and there was low level chromatic aberration in some shots. But I was very pleased with the color saturation and detail, particularly considering that I shot hand-held (using my monopod turned out to not be practical). I shot in RAW, aperture-priority and auto WB, and I set the ISO manually. I used the exposure compensation dial a lot.

All images were processed through LR4. I am just learning the software and so I probably fiddled with the sliders more than necessary. With the highlight and shadow adjustments, I was able to overcome many of the lighting issues (and operator error) and rescue some really bad shots. I also had to work the exposure slider on some images. The camera auto WB was spot-on, so I rarely had to adjust it. I’ll have to revisit the images once I get more proficient and see if I can get more out of the data.

So, for what it’s worth..... Enjoy.

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow