Easy ISO on D4

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: Easy ISO on D4
In reply to Merlinator, Feb 19, 2013

Merlinator wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is way to change ISO without haaving to take your eye off the subject. As it is I have to lower the camera if hand held to change the ISO

-- hide signature --

www.falconry.ca
www.merlnator.smugmug.com

Rather than reprogramming the record button, you might also want to consider shooting with auto-ISO on in full manual mode. For my wife and I at least, this set up works great any time we expect to shooting above base ISO (pretty much any time we're indoors). In auto-ISO and manual mode, you set your desired aperture and shutter speed and the camera floats the ISO for the proper exposure. Exposure compensation modifies the ISO to under or over-expose. With this set up, you pretty much never need to touch the ISO button. On the D3s and D300s that we own with their awkwardly placed ISO buttons and no option to reassign that function to another button, this is a wonderful thing. On the D4, you'll free up that record button for another function, or at least not have to worry about having enough or too much shutter speed indoors if the light changes.

It took my wife and I some time to get used to this but we have no reason to want to switch back to manually setting ISO again (aside from shooting with flash). Just thinking about doing that again seems like such a hassle. I have the ISO sensitivity menu on "My Menu" for quick access when we need it.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow