My Equipment is taking me to Kenya!

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
VKM3
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: My Equipment is taking me to Kenya!
In reply to purcellj, Feb 19, 2013

Just got back from Tanzania yesterday, actually.  My third safari in East Africa.

My advice: less is more!  I took two 5dMk3s, 500 f4 mkII, 70-200 2.8 mkII, 100-400, 16-35, and the 1.4x converter.

500f4 was used for 75% of my shots, the 70-200 the balance.  16-35 for landscapes around camp.  I loved the 70-200 so much that I found I worked around the reach limitations instead of pulling out the 100-400.  Used the 1.4x a few times but wasn't happy with the results so it ended up collecting dust (literally!) in the camera bag.  In the end, I could have left the teleconverter and the 100-400 at home.

I brought 4 batteries and had to charge each battery once over the 10 day safari.  Took 4000 shots plus some video.  If you have access to charging stations in the evening, don't bother bringing more than one extra battery per camera.

Brought the laptop for backups/rough editing and was really glad I did so.  Having my favs picked before I even got home is making the transfer process to my home computer much easier.  It was really nice to review the photos each evening as the trip progressed.  I didn't delete any photos from the memory cards so this way I had all the photos in two different spots.

Have a great time!  I loved Kenya.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow