Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,586Gear list
Like?
DSLR - for ever, all the time!
In reply to gdourado, Feb 18, 2013

I prefer the DSLR for its pleasure of use, and better user interface - a big optical  finder it very important for me. For macro photography I often also focus manually, and for this th optical finder is important - even the tiniest delay causes me to "overshot" - I need the instant feedback only an optical finder provides.

Even if these problems were overcome, there is still the question of additional power consumption - the sunlight you get for free, the electronic finder needs power. Battery life is an important feature for me, particularly in remoter areas were no power sockets are available.

In addition, I sometimes use the camera with telephoto lens attached as a binocular, and this would consume a lot of exra power if it were an electronic finder.

The mirrorless cameras withouta finder are even worse, I do not like framing with the screen at all. It is guesswork in bright less and the less stable position nullifies any advantage of image stabilisation.

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow