Canon Powershot SX260 HS as replacement for Nikon p5100?

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
denis01
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Canon Powershot SX260 HS as replacement for Nikon p5100?
Feb 18, 2013

Hi! I'm new here so I hope I am in the right place.

I currently have a Nikon p5100 which has served me well, but it seems to have just gotten slower and slower over the years, and I'm ready for something new and hopefully better.

I like the Canon SX260 HS for its features and 20x zoom, but I noticed the sensor (1/2.3) is smaller than what I have in my Nikon (1/1.7).

I am not taking professional pictures by any means, but I do most of my viewing of them on a 60" TV. Also, I do love to travel, and I want to be able to print out large posters. I printed out a 20x28 from my Nikon, and it looks pretty good. I need help figuring out:

1. Because of the smaller sensor...am I essentially "downgrading" with this camera?

2. Is the difference in sensor size on these cameras going to be noticeable regarding quality?

3. One thing I love about my Nikon is that it seems to do pretty well in low light with the proper settings. Will the SX260 do the same?

4. Again, most of my pictures are travel, which is why the zoom would be great. I do also take a lot of indoors "people" pictures as well. Is this a good choice for me, or would I be better off sacrificing some zoom for a Nikon p7700 (I believe the successor to my camera)? And in that case...has there been enough advances in image quality to even justify the upgrade?

5. If this is not a good choice, I would probably be looking at a Canon G1 X or even the Sony RX100 if the price comes down. I understand the image quality is a lot better in these, but is that necessary given what I am trying to do with it?

Thanks

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon Coolpix P5100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow